It’s not easy to get out of bed earlier than absolutely necessary. But there are numerous benefits to being an early riser. The morning is an excellent time for many activities. You can also get your day off on the right foot. There are career, health, and psychological benefits to getting up early.
The key is to use the extra time wisely.
Early risers have all the fun
1. You start the day on your terms. Imagine getting out of bed and having time to do whatever you please before you have to get ready for work. Most of us roll out of bed at the last possible minute and rush around until we arrive at work five minutes late.
2. Studies have shown the early risers eat less. If you sleep late, you likely eat twice as much fast food as early risers. Those that stay up late have been shown to have higher BMIs on the average. Get out of bed earlier and be healthier.
3. You have peace and quiet. The kids are asleep, no one is bouncing a ball against the side of the house, and the TV isn’t making any noise. When else do you have this same level of serenity? At night, you’re too exhausted to enjoy it.
4. You can get more work done. An extra hour of work each morning can make the rest of the day go more smoothly. You could clean up the house or prepare for a day at the office.
5. You can enjoy the sunrise. It’s a spectacular sight. Get up and witness it firsthand.
6. You can get in shape. Working out after work is a crapshoot. You’re often too tired or busy to make it to the gym. If you get up early, you can grab your running shoes and head out the door. If running isn’t your thing, perform yoga on the living room floor. A treadmill in front of the morning news can work well, too.
7. Indulge in a hobby. Whether you like to read, do needle point, or play the violin, the morning can be a great time to enjoy yourself.
8. There’s less traffic. Everyone is on the road at 7:30AM. You can already be at the office and taking care of business by then. You might even be able to leave early and avoid the evening rush hour.
9. You have time to pray or meditate. You can start your day on a positive note and create a good frame of mind for the rest of the day. The early morning is the perfect time to pray or meditate. Notice how much better your day goes when you partake in this morning activity.
10. You’ll get better grades. One university study showed that early risers’ GPAs are a full point higher than that of night owls. Your parents will be proud.
Are you convinced enough to set your alarm clock earlier? If you’ve been very consistent with your bedtime and wake time, your body has become used to that schedule. Consider going to bed and waking up just five minutes earlier for the first few days. Then work another five minutes into your schedule. Continue the process until you’ve reached your objective.
The early morning hours are valuable. You can enjoy health, personal, and career advantages by becoming an early riser. Get out of bed and take control of your morning. You’ll be pleased with the results.