Communication is the most important thing in a healthy relationship, but it’s not always easy to communicate in a loving way. Many couples struggle with loving and thoughtful communication. Loving communication can be integrated into listening, talking, body language, daily habits, and other activities.
Discover how to use all these forms of communication to enhance your relationship and experience a more joyful and fulfilling love.
You can improve your relationship starting from today by putting into practice some of these skills for improving the communication in your relationship.
Art Of Communicating #1 – Listening
When communicating with your partner, listening is even more important than speaking. It’s crucial that you listen carefully to your partner.
Unfortunately, it’s easier to speak than to hear each other.
Many couples develop habits such as tuning out the other person or nodding their head in agreement without listening. They may learn to ignore each other rather than focusing on each other during their conversations. Unfortunately, these actions can spell doom.
You can use the same conversations to strengthen your relationship, instead, by taking advantage of them to show your love.
Try these ways to show your love when you listen:
- Look at your partner when they’re talking. They’ll be pleased that they have your full attention. This action allows you to start off the conversation in a positive, respectful, and complimentary light – even when you’re not the one talking.
- Practice active listening. This is a type of listening that shows the other person you’re engaged in the conversation.
- Active listening can take many forms.
- Some examples of active listening include nodding your head, saying something in agreement, or asking questions to clarify their meaning.
- Show that you understand. Sometimes a smile or a nod is enough to show this. Other times you can show understanding by continuing the conversation and providing advice or tips.
- Avoid interruptions. Whether your phone goes off during a conversation, or you stop the speaker in the middle of a sentence, interruptions can be annoying and break down communication.
- Turn off your phones and other devices while you’re listening to your partner.
- Make the conversation a top priority.
Show how much you care by the way you listen. Your partner will notice the loving difference!
The way you talk to each other has a huge impact on your relationship. From small talk to terms of endearment, your voice has power.
Many couples are able to share their love through conversations in the beginning of a relationship. However, they struggle to keep the momentum going, and loving words fade as the relationship ages.
You don’t have to forget love while talking!
Consider these tips for keeping your love alive:
- Give small talk a chance. It’s not always necessary to have deep and meaningful conversations. There are times that small talk is appropriate and can be used to convey love.
- From discussing work to talking about the weather, small talk can be an easier way to start a conversation with your partner. It can show that you still care about each other by sharing things.
- Even sharing these types of small details of your life can strengthen your emotional bond.
- Remember to use loving terms. Terms of endearment can make a big difference in a relationship.
- Using affectionate terms or cute pet names is one option.
- Keep saying you love them. Many couples who have been together for a long time forget to say I love you. Remember to tell your partner that you love them.
- Although there are many ways to express your love, sometimes it’s important to just say it out loud. These three simple words, “I love you,” can serve as verbal reassurance.
- Express yourself with love. Sometimes anger and resentment can boil over in a conversation, but it’s important to resist them.
- Try to avoid using language that is hurtful and negative with your partner.
- Consider how your partner will feel after hearing you talk.
- Avoid letting anger and the passion of the moment cloud your judgment.
- It often helps to take a break or walk away to cool off during a serious argument. Use words that still contain love when you return.
The way you talk matters in a loving relationship. Ensure you communicate your love through your words on a daily basis.
Do you pay attention to body language while near your partner?
Your body language is another way to show love in a relationship. Whether you use your eyes or a smile, the subtle things can express love.
Your body language is important to your partner. They can pick up on unverbalized emotions from your body language, so make it count!
Try these strategies to show love with your body language:
- Focus on the eyes. Do you look at your partner while talking, or are you staring at the wall or your phone?
- Researchers have found that partners who gaze at each other lovingly have stronger relationships. So it’s important to look at your partner while talking and listening.
- Try to avoid staring into space or looking at another object while they talk.
- When you look away from your loved one while they talk, they may think that you’re bored with the conversation, or even bored with them.
- Of course, you only want to smile during appropriate times, but many couples simply forget to smile at all. However, this simple gesture can carry a lot of meaning.
- Keep in mind that smiling can also help you by boosting your immune system and improving your mood, so you get many benefits from smiling.
- Face your partner. While you’re talking, face each other. This shows you’re focused and interested in them.
- In addition, lean in a bit while they’re talking. This also shows that you care and are involved in the conversation.
- Other body language tips. Use these actions, too, in your body language to communicate your love:
- Nod your head at appropriate times during the conversation.
- Point your feet toward the speaker because this moves the body in that direction and shows you’re interested.
- Crossing your arms is often viewed as a defensive and negative tactic, so leave your arms in a more natural position. One study found that people who cross their arms are also less likely to retain information from the conversation.
- Hold your partner’s hands. During a difficult or emotional moment, this can express your love.
Body language is a crucial part of communication. Practice these body language tips each day to enhance your relationship with more love.
How do you use daily habits to show your love?
Whether you pour your partner the first cup of coffee each morning or fold their clothes a certain way that they prefer, the daily habits in a relationship can make a big impact.
Consider how your daily habits affect your partner.
These habits can bring even more love into your relationship:
- Keep writing love notes. Although love notes are a classic way to express love, they still work in these modern times. Love notes never go out of style!
- Write a short love note on a sticky note.
- Send a love note through email or social media. It doesn’t have to be hand-written on fancy paper to have meaning.
- Even a loving text message can brighten your partner’s day.
- Make date night part of the schedule. Although date night may not be possible every week, you can still make it a habit.
- Try to add at least one date night a month to your schedule.
- Date night is the perfect opportunity to practice your loving communication and reconnect.
- Keep in mind that date night doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive. A quiet and simple dinner at home or movie night in the living room can make perfect date nights. You can also go to a museum, art studio, or see a free play.
- Sharing small gifts. Although gifts are often expected on holidays and birthdays, you can share smaller ones throughout the year.
- Consider giving each other small and meaningful gifts more often.
- They don’t have to be expensive, and they can be useful objects. For example, think about giving your partner a new notebook or pen set if they love to write.
- Even a photograph of you and your partner in a new frame can be a gift.
- Share chores. One of the biggest complaints from couples is housework and sharing chores.
- You can show your love by doing chores ahead of time with no need for nagging.
- You can also help by taking on your partner’s share of the chores.
- When one person does an unfair share of the housework, it can strain the relationship. They may feel angry and resentful while also being overworked.
- Add more joy and laughter. From sharing funny jokes to watching more comedies, adding humor can help you connect with each other.
- By adding more joy and laughter, you’ll notice that the relationship feels lighter, and yet stronger, as you enjoy your time together.
- Try to add more humor to your daily interactions.
- Give foot rubs and massages. After a long day at work or at home, your partner will appreciate this gesture.
- Foot rubs and massages are free and an easy way to show you care.
- They are great romantic gestures that don’t require a lot of planning or time.
- Spend more time together. Not every moment has to be planned in advance.
- Focus on spending more time together each day, and you’ll notice a stronger bond.
- You don’t have to make it a big event, and it’s normal to simply read the paper or eat a meal together. Sometimes it’s these simple and quiet moments that matter.
- Snuggle together on the couch, go through paperwork together, or watch a show on TV.
- The key is to be with each other and just enjoy each other’s company.
Your daily habits play a big role in loving communication. Add your own ideas to these. Find some habits that bring you closer together and make it a point to show your love each day in your normal routines.
Click the image below to download the The Art of Loving Communication Worksheet (in .PDF format)
When you want to build a strong and healthy relationship with your partner, loving communication has to be a cornerstone.
Every word and action can be used to express love.
From daily habits to how you listen, you can use each moment to show your partner that you care about them.
Keep in mind that loving communication takes practice, so it may not happen in one day. Have fun as you practice and try new ideas together!
Over time, loving words and actions will become a natural part of your communication style. Your emotional bond will grow stronger as you show your love in these ways.