As you’re well aware, life is full of changes. Sometimes, the changes occur when you least expect them, and you end up with your routines being thrown out of whack. That’s how it often is when new chapters are opened up in your life. You might get caught by surprise, and immediately get flustered because you’ve never dealt with being in that situation before.
It’s easy to lose composure when you’re going through something totally novel to you. It’s easy to give up because you feel like you’ve lost control of your life.
The good news is that you can approach these life events with positive techniques that keep you from feeling intimidated by them.
Follow these strategies to not only deal with, but also embrace, these new chapters in your life:
1. Have an open mind. Expect the best scenario instead of the worst. Remind yourself that you’ve made it through more challenging situations before.
* Embrace the idea that this event might bring with it all sorts of positive spins on existing situations that challenge you. This new chapter in your life could be the answer to your reaching previously unattainable goals.
2. Exercise courage. Fear can keep you from achieving what you want out of life. It can turn strong men weak and result in disappointment, sadness and humiliation. If you picture living a life with those negative attributes, you’ll start to develop the courage to prevent that from happening. So face the unknown with every ounce of courage you have!
* Even when you’re not feeling courageous, tell yourself you’re brave. Walk into a situation while repeating the words, “I have what it takes to conquer this.”
3. Take one step at a time. By far, the easiest way to approach any situation in life is to break it down into its smallest parts. When looking at the big picture of your new chapter, it might seem mammoth and insurmountable. But if you take a minute to dissect it, you’ll realize it’s a lot easier to take smaller bites and even savor the taste of newness.
4. Be guided by past mistakes. Nobody you know has more experience in your life than you do! You know your strengths and abilities, and you also know where you went wrong before. Those learning lessons should be the tools you take into life’s new chapter. Use them as much as possible to help guide you through the unknown.
5. Be honest. If your new chapter in life is something being presented to you by someone else, be honest about feeling intimidated by it. If you’re expected to tackle it and come out victorious, you definitely don’t want to disappoint! It’s better to state your position up front because people respect honest even when it doesn’t favor them.
New chapters don’t have to be scary at all. You’d be surprised how perfectly capable you are of taking things head-on and relishing in the goodness they can provide. Give yourself the chance to experience fulfillment; use these strategies to embrace new chapters like you already know the outcome!