Going on a vacation is one of the most memorable experiences you’ll ever have. To make it even more enjoyable and stress-free, put these money tips to work for you!
Before You Go For Your Vocation
- Shop around for your best deals on lodging, transportation, entertainment, and even the best places to eat.
- Keep a running list of pre-vacation credit card charges for reservations and airline fees and set aside the funds.
- Plan expenditures ahead by listing what your daily activities will be and how much money they’ll require.
- Inform your credit card company where you’ll be going and when to ensure smooth transactions.
- Buy Travelers Checks with part of your cash and keep the receipt with the check numbers separate from the checks. In case they’re lost or stolen, you can easily replace them.
During Your Vacation
- Budget for each day of your vacation. Separate your cash for that day and spend only that amount. This way, you’ll know how much you started and ended the day with.
- When you go out, keep your cash and credit cards in a money belt or similar item hidden under your shirt. Take the money you need out in small amounts in privacy.
- Hotel safety. Take advantage of the hotel’s safe for money and valuables.
- Avoid paying extra for soups, salads, beverages, and desserts. Instead, forego these items, have them as a meal, or order meals that include them to save money.
When You Get Back From Vocation
- Deposit remaining dollars back into your savings or money market account for next year’s travel.
- Check your next couple of credit card statements carefully to verify the accuracy of charges coming in from your trip.
- Tally up your vacation costs. Was it what you thought you’d spend?
- Document what you learned about finances. Then, ask yourself what else you could have done to save money. Keep those ideas for your next trip.
- Start saving for your next great vacation