It’s great to be able to kill two birds with one stone. Or, to satisfy multiple needs with one activity. Most people could use more time each day, so it’s great to accomplish two things with one activity. For example, it’s possible to listen to a book on tape while walking on a treadmill.
At a higher level, it’s possible to engage in an enjoyable hobby while also meeting one or more of your emotional needs. It’s also easy to get yourself to participate in enjoyable activities!
It can take some thought, but there are plenty of hobbies that you’d enjoy that will also allow you to feel creative, helpful, fulfilled, adventurous, or any other emotional state that you desire. A hobby can be more than just a fun activity.
Try these activities to find a hobby that soothes your soul:
- Writing. Writing is a great way to be creative and put your ideas out into the world. Writing is something you can do by yourself at any time in any location. You may not have enjoyed writing in school, but writing about things that interest you can be very rewarding on multiple levels.
- Painting, sculpting, or other artistic activity. Allow the artist in you to blossom. There are many forms of artistic expression. Consider giving yourself the gift of creating something completely original.
- Dancing. Perhaps painting and writing aren’t your thing. Maybe you’ve always wanted to dance. Now is as good a time as any to pursue this interest. This can be a great way to make new friends, too.
- Volunteering. Volunteering can be another way to meet your emotional needs. Few things feel as good as spending your time helping someone other than yourself. Volunteering can be rewarding in countless ways.
- Animal rescue. Do you love animals? If so, perhaps you could work at an animal rescue or maybe even start your own. Have you ever wanted to be a wildlife rehabilitator? Many people greatly enjoy the time they spend with animals.
- Music. Creating, playing, or writing music is another activity that many people find extremely pleasant and rewarding. If you love music, this might be a great way to spend your free time.
- Photography. Photography is another form of art. Capturing the perfect photograph is a huge thrill for many people. Digital cameras have made photography much more convenient and quite a bit easier.
- Travel. There are people fascinated with other countries, peoples, and cultures. Serious travel isn’t for everyone, but those that love it can barely think of anything else.
- Bonsai. This is another calming and artistic activity. Crafting the perfect bonsai tree takes talent, skill, and patience. You probably have a club near you dedicated to this activity. You might even be able to build a business around this hobby and make some additional income.
- Gardening. Get your hands in the earth and grow something. Flowers, vegetables, berries, and herbs can all be rewarding to plant and nurture. This is something that many children love to do, too.
Hobbies are enjoyable activities that you choose to do. But a hobby can provide more than just enjoyment. A hobby could provide the social interaction that you crave. It can scratch your need to be creative. It can also allow you to feel needed and helpful.
Think about what you need in your life and look for a hobby that can fulfill that need. Having fun and satisfying a need at the same time is a tough combination to beat.