Positive habits are powerful tools. They allow you to accomplish meaningful tasks with little thought or motivation required. With the right set of habits, you can accomplish nearly anything and be on autopilot much of the time.
Those people that put forth herculean effort are admired by our society. We love the runner that crawls the last mile of a marathon. However, a surer path to success is to do the necessary things each and every day. A little each day adds up to a lot.
See how your habits influence the quality of your life:
- Save money. Financial challenges are among the most common stressors in our society. A tendency to save, rather than spend, can prevent a lot of anxiety. Imagine how much easier your life could be if you always had enough money in the bank.
- Exercise. You’re stuck with the body you were born with. It only makes sense to take good care of it. Thirty minutes of exercise each day will boost your health and make you feel better.
- Get enough sleep but wake up early. Only you know exactly how much sleep you need, but it’s probably more than you’re getting on a regular basis. It’s also important to start your day early and get off to a good start. This might seem contradictory, but it simply means that you need to go to bed earlier.
- Drink more water. Your body is composed primarily of water. Drinking plenty of water each day makes good sense.
- Meditate. Meditation has survived for thousands of years and has never been more popular. It contributes positively to both your mental and physical health. A daily meditation practice can reduce stress and bring you peace and serenity.
- Be choosy about the people you allow into your life. People have the power to elevate your life or to destroy it. Choose wisely.
- Be choosy about the activities you allow into your life. Spending your time on activities that matter to you brings greater meaning and fulfillment into your everyday life.
- Follow the 80/20 rule. Some actions are a lot more effective than others. Determine which actions produce the most positive results in your life and focus your efforts on doing more of those and less of the ones that don’t add to your life.
- Have a healthy breakfast. If you get up early and have a healthy breakfast, you’re already ahead of most of the population. A good morning gives the best opportunity to have a good day.
- Know your priorities for the day. Hit the ground running by knowing exactly what you need to accomplish for the day. You’ll get more done and have to make fewer decisions during the day.
- Review your goals. Keep your mind focused on your goals by reviewing them for a few minutes each day.
- Spend time in nature. Take a walk in the woods. Sit in the park and breathe some fresh air. Ride your bike down a country road. Get away from people and spend some time with the plants, trees, and animals.
- Be grateful. Practicing gratitude each day can help to prevent stress and depression. Reminding yourself that there are good things in your life brings your focus onto what’s great about your life – and attracts more of the same.
- Have a morning routine. An established morning routine can save time and get your day off to a strong start.
Take a few minutes and consider your goals and current challenges. What are a few habits that would be very helpful to have? Ask yourself what would happen if you engaged in those habits regularly.
It’s easy to see how much influence positive, effective habits can have on your life. Choose habits that support your dreams and you’ll live the life you desire.