It’s normal to occasionally experience feelings of discontent, sadness, or even unhappiness. Life just has a way of triggering those emotions once in a while. When you find your spirits drooping, try some of these strategies for a pick-me-up.
Ways To Lift Your Spirits
- Phone your best friend – You’ll be glad to hear that familiar, laughing voice.
- Send your partner an “I’m thinking of you” text – No matter where she is, she’ll love it. Plus, doing this will bring a smile to your face, knowing she’ll be pleased.
- Listen to music. Music is one of the most powerfully uplifting things in the world. Plus, it works for just about everybody. Even if you listen for just 15 minutes, you’ll be amazed at how much better you feel.
- Journal – With today’s technology you can journal your feelings on your tablet, smartphone, or computer. Or use the old-fashioned method of pen and paper to free yourself from the doldrums.
- Jot down names of 3-5 people who love you – Feeling down is difficult when you’re thinking of the love you receive and give in your life.
- Look at photos of your children – Banish your blue feelings with memories of the joy you’ve shared with your children.
- Make up a story – How long has it been since you tried to make up a tale? Whether it’s for your child, partner, or yourself, use your imagination to spin a yarn. You might be pleasantly surprised at how much fun you have.
- Just dance – Dancing gets the blood pumping!
- Take a short walk – Whether the weather’s cool or warm outside, a brief walk can lift your mood.
- Visit your mom – You’ll feel better if you go to see your mom or give her a call.
- Drop in on a confidante – Spending just one hour with a friend can be the most refreshing thing you can do for yourself.
- Tell someone how you feel – Your parent, friend, brother, or sister will be quite interested in how you’re doing. Plus, they’ll probably have some ideas on how to improve your spirits.
- Do a workout video – Have fun and exercise at the same time. Your body will naturally produce endorphins that will lift your mood.
- Play a musical instrument – If you play the piano, saxophone, harmonica, or some other instrument, you already know the profound effect on your inner self that making music can create. Get lost in your music, if only for a little while.
- Clean something – You’ll feel the pride of accomplishment and be ready to relax and enjoy yourself a bit.
- Get into cooking – Cooking for others brings such genuine joy that you’ll want to try it whenever your spirits need a boost.
- Re-read your favorite novel – That book you loved 5 years ago and put back on the book shelf is just waiting for you to enjoy it once more. You’ll love the story all over again.
- Explore a topic of interest on the internet – When you delve into something that really gets your intellectual or creative juices flowing, you develop feelings of interest and excitement again.
- Cultivate gratitude – Whomever and whatever you’re thankful for, reflect on it. Do you live in a quaint place full of charm or a region where the sun always shines? Take some moments to think about who and what you’re glad to have in your life.
- Spend time with children – Whether you’re with your own children, nieces and nephews, or the neighbor’s kids, sharing time with little ones is fun. Play their favorite game, toss around a ball, or listen to their ideas. Kids can bring a song to your heart and a smile to your face.
- Make a commitment to yourself – Maybe you want to build strength in your core. Perhaps you hope to get a promotion next year or lose 10 pounds before summer rolls around. Whatever you’d like to work toward, promise yourself that you’ll start doing so today. You’ll feel exhilarated about having a goal to work toward.
- Go swimming – If it’s too cold to swim outdoors, find a local YMCA or health club with an indoor pool and go for a dip. There’s something marvellous about being in the water.
- Immerse yourself in an activity – Have a craft you look forward to doing or a sport you want to take up? Let yourself be overtaken by something new and interesting.
- Take part in a family activity – Spending time with your family can bring forth feelings of love, care, kindness, and enjoyment.
- Check out a recently released flick – Who doesn’t love getting lost in a movie? Take some cash for popcorn and get ready to hunker down for a couple of hours of movie bliss.
Even though feeling down sometimes is natural for everyone, you can actively take some steps to improve your mood!
Listen to music. Journal. Visit your family. Spend time reading or with children. Whatever you choose, take the initiative and lift your spirits whenever you feel the need.