Everyone needs some nature in their life. Even if you live in a major city, it’s still important to find a way to either get out into nature or to bring nature to you.
Cities are a relatively recent development in human history. We’re not that far removed from a more natural and rural existence.
Regardless of where you live, there are ways to spend more time in or with nature. All it takes is a little ingenuity and effort.
Adding more nature into your life can soothe your soul! Try these ideas:
- Go to the park. Most towns have a park within a reasonable distance. Where there are trees and grass, there are bound to be birds, squirrels, and other animals.
- Take a nice walk. Find a bench or a good spot under a tree and take a seat for a while. Just enjoy the surroundings.
- Create a garden. If you have space for a garden, this is a great way to bring a little nature into your life.
- What could be more miraculous than planting a seed and watching it grow into something you can eat or into a flower? Think about that. A seed can pull nutrients out of the soil and turn into something else with just water and sunlight. That’s nature.
- Get a bird feeder. Put a bird feeder near a window and watch the show. Maybe you’ll decide to buy a book on birds and identify the birds you see. It won’t be long before you might see some squirrels, too.
- Get a bird. Dogs, cats, and fish are fine, but if you want to bring some of the wild into your home, get a pet bird. Birds can be wonderful, interesting, and active companions.
- Keep in mind that some of the larger parrots can live 80 years or more! Some birds can be a lifelong commitment.
- House plants. Maybe gardening isn’t your thing. That’s okay. You can have plants indoors. Head to your local garden center and become a plant-parent. A few plants can really enhance the mood of your home.
- Ensure that you have the proper amount of sunlight for each type of plant you choose.
- Artwork. Driftwood, landscape paintings, photographs, and sculptures can all be nature oriented.
- Nature sounds. It’s easy to find all types of nature sounds these days. You can make your home sound like the ocean, the jungle, or a rainstorm. The recordings are a lot better than they used to be. There are plenty of options you can try online for free. See what you can find.
- Use natural scents. Filling your home with natural scents can also give the feeling of nature. Vanilla, sandalwood, and various flower scents are just a few of the many options available.
- Documentaries. Most people don’t have the time or the money to visit the cliffs of Norway, the volcanoes of Iceland, or the rainforest in Brazil. However, you can see all of these things from the comfort of your sofa. The entire world is available to you with your TV remote.
Have you ever noticed how you feel different while spending time among the trees, flowers, and animals? There’s a sense of relaxation that you can’t attain any other way. It just feels right to be there.
Even committed city-dwellers will benefit from some time away from the asphalt jungle. Consider all of your options and give yourself the gift of nature.