Too many people have too much free time right now. Considering how many people regularly complain about not having enough free time, you wouldn’t think that it’s possible to have too much. However, many of us find that a life without time limits is more challenging than we ever thought it could be.
Free time is most enjoyable when it’s consumed in finite quantities, much like fudge.
But an excess of free time is actually a great opportunity!
Discover what you can do with that time:
- Appreciate it. It’s a blessing to have a lot of free time. Remind yourself of all those times you’ve wished for more free time. You might have unlimited free time right now. Appreciate it and be determined to make the most of it. You can accomplish a lot right now if you take full advantage of the situation.
- Realize that it won’t last. Understanding that this period won’t last forever might be a relief. It’s also a wakeup call to get busy and use this unusual situation to the best of your ability.
- Ask yourself how the time could best be spent. Literally ask yourself, “What is the best way for me to use all of this free time?” Ask yourself that question periodically throughout the day and take note of your answers.
- Indulge your interests. Now is the time to explore and do those things you’ve always wanted to do. Learn to ride a motorcycle or play the piano. Write a novel. Put a pool in your backyard. Learn about the birds in your part of the world. Learn woodworking. Grow some roses.
- Focus on self-care. Having too much time on your hands makes it easy to become lazy. Why take a shower if you’re not going anywhere for several days? However, it’s important to stay on top of your self-care. This means getting enough sleep, bathing, exercising, eating properly, and being kind to yourself.
- Do that thing that you always put off. Everyone has that thing they never seem to get around to doing. Maybe the house needs new gutters. Or the attic needs to be cleaned out. Or maybe you’ve sworn for years that you were going to train for a marathon. Now is your opportunity!
- Make a plan each day. Decide what you want to accomplish today and stick to your schedule. Give yourself a few hours at the end of the day to do as you please but be productive with the bulk of your day. You’ll feel better, accomplish more, and avoid feeling frustrated with yourself.
If you’re overwhelmed with the amount of free time you have available to you, remember that it won’t last forever. Before long, you’ll be back to wishing you had some of that free time back.
Take advantage of this unique situation. You’re unlikely to have a similar amount of free time until you’re retired. At that point, you might not be physically or intellectually capable of doing many of the things you can do now.
Seize the day!